Pages

Thursday, August 8, 2013



Support from other parents I think is very important. I feel like I do get good support from other moms that I know and even some moms that I don't quite know. But I do have to say that I have seen a lot of parents who could maybe do a little better in that department.

It all started when my father in law was asking me if I felt pressure because these days it seems like things are so strict when raising a baby. Like baby is suppose do this at this age or don't give that to baby or baby should eat this. But I actually told him that what gives me stress is when other parents ask me things and I think it's them being nice but they are just trying to one up us on everything. If I say my baby is 20 months old then they say he looks small meanwhile they are both 7ft tall and their 2 year is already like 4ft. So yes my average sized baby is going to look small. Or if I say my baby walked at 13 months their baby walked at 7. Well I'm exagerating but I've had people say things like to me. I have heard a lot of moms say things like this at our play group. My favorite is when I see a new mom clearly tired someone asks how her baby is sleeping she says not so good and then of course their baby sleeps 12 hours straight. Wow I'm sure that makes another mom feel great.

Just yesterday my husband was at a neighbors yard talking to a mom and her two little ones. These neighbors we never really met and we know everyone except for them because they tend to keep to themselves. Now she works from home and her husband is home as well and their kids go to daycare. Ethan was shy because he's never met them and she's talking about how she's so happy her kids go to daycare because of socialization. I go out of my way to make sure he is around other kids all the time. He is just like me I'm quiet when I first meet someone. Since when is there anything wrong with that?  But I must say that I'm proud of my husband for what he said next.

Husband - Do you consider me social? My husband is the most talkative and the least shy person I know.

Neighbor - Yes

Husband - Well I never went to daycare a day in my life.

Ha! This is exactly what I mean what the hell is the point of saying something like this when you see my son is being shy. Well moms and dads the stresses of keeping up with other kids is coming from you!!! Not play group teachers, babysitters but you. Let us all do a better job of supporting one another. I'm not saying that all parents are at fault because I do get and hear a lot of positives out there but we can do better.

You know I get that people want to let everyone know how great their child is doing. Sometimes it would be better if parents give a little more support to other parents out there. Telling someone that their child is cute or telling them how great he's/she's doing works better. I try and say that to parents but I do wish I heard that a little more. Not just to me but to other parents as well.  It's amazing all the things I overhear when I'm at Ethan's play groups. So next time you are giving another parent info on your child ask them about their child and just say "that's great."

No comments:

Post a Comment