Pages

Friday, May 24, 2013




Before I became pregnant and while I was pregnant I did research on just about everything. I just wanted to be sure I did what was best for my child. And still to this day I do the same because I want the best for him. Before he was even born I just wanted to protect him in every way possible. To me breastfeeding was one of the ways to do that after he was born.

In my opinion I believe breastfeeding is one of the best things you could do for your child. If you've explored all the benefits and facts about breastfeeding and still have decided it's not for you that's ok. I believe in doing what works for you and what you think will benefit your child. I also understand that some women are unable to breastfeed. But what I don't understand is why some people decide not to breastfeed without even doing their research. There are so many benefits for mom and baby that more women in America should be breastfeeding. I hope as time goes on all hospitals, doctors and employers across the country support breastfeeding by educating women and making it easier for them in the workplace.

I know a few people that have had children that have said they didn't want to breastfeed because it was an inconvience, or because if the baby didn't latch on it could be hard emotionally, or the baby wouldn't sleep well. I wish they would have done their research. For those of you who have not breastfed please know that there are solutions if for example your baby doesn't latch on. My baby did not latch on properly but with the help of a nipple shield we were good to go. And if that does not work you could always just pump so that your baby still gets the good nutrients from breast milk. I would suggest meeting with a lactation consultant before making that decision. I've also known quite a few people who have tried which is great but they said that milk never came. This is why speaking to a lactation consultant is important. Breastmilk takes a few days for it to come in but you must just keep breastfeeding in order for that to happen.

I personally miss breastfeeding my son. It was nice to just sit and bond with my baby. It was an incredible experience and I hope to do it for longer with my next child. I nursed Ethan for about 8 or 9 months but I would have liked to make it to at least 1 year. I think my supply just dwindled after returning to work. I tried everything but it just slowly went away. So now that I am a sahm I hope to make to that 1 year mark with my next child.

The most important piece of advice I can give is just to relax, take your time and enjoy the moment with your baby.Here is a list of products that I found helpful for breastfeeding.
  1. Breast pads for your bra
  2. Nipple shield
  3. Nursing cover
  4. Nursing pillow
  5. Breast pump - A good tip for cleaning breast pump parts. The sippy cup cleaners the ones that allow you to clean out the straws work great. Dr. Brown also makes them to clean bottle parts.
  6. Nursing bras
  7. Nursing tops
  8. Milk storage bags for freezer
  9. Extra storage bottles w/ nipples. Very convenient because you can pump, put it in the fridge and just feed from that bottle.
  10. Nipple cream - you will need this for sure in the beginning.

No comments:

Post a Comment