Pages

Friday, April 12, 2013

choosing a baby name

My only piece of advice when choosing a name is not to tell people the list of names you are thinking about. I cannot stand when people ask pregnant women or the dads about names and then just flat out say they don't like this name or that name blah blah blah. I made this mistake in the beginning of my pregnancy and after that I just started saying that we had no names.

I knew that I wanted the name Ethan but I also wanted to explore my options. I've liked the name forever because I have an older cousin with the name. So when I was young I always said I would name my son Ethan because I loved it so much.  So fast forward years later I'm pregnant with a boy so how perfect that I have a name that I love. The only negative part was that the Ethan was showing up on all kinds of baby name lists. That was ok but it was near the top of all the lists I read. I'm the type of person that likes names that are not weird but that nobody else really has. I knew nobody except my cousin with the name so I went for it.

Now fast forward to 17 months later and it seems like everybody has named their son Ethan. I just hope another popular name comes along so everyone can forget about the name Ethan. I get a little annoyed because I've had the name picked out since I was a little girl. And nothing against the name Aiden or Aidan or Aden but I don't want the name Ethan to get like that name has become. Please do not take offense I have a 10 year old nephew with the name and I do love it but it just has become too popular for me. Again I'm just not the type to want to name my child Michael, Jonathan, or Ryan even though I do love those names.

So I think as long as you love the name and you know you didn't choose it just to be like everyone else then that's all that matters. I think Ethan is a beautiful name and I wouldn't choose anything else for him.


No comments:

Post a Comment