Pages

Monday, March 11, 2013

My favorite and not so favorite baby things

After going to a friends baby shower, it got me thinking about the things I never really used the first few months. Also, at the shower a group of us talked about what we couldn't live without. Registering at a baby store can be so overwhelming for a first time mom. But what I always tell my friends that are expecting is, do what works for you. For some parents co sleeping is best for them for others it could be the ferber method. I might say that I really didn't use any shoes in the beginning but that doesn't mean that everyone should do what I did. So with that being said, here are few things that I never used or rarely used and some things I couldn't live without.

Rarely or never used:
  • Shoes - I had quite a few pairs for Ethan but he still rarely uses real big boy shoes. We use shoes with the soft soles and that's it right now.
  • Newborn clothes - We used these for like 2 weeks and that's it.
  • Size 2 diapers - So these we did use but for like a minute. I just recommend not getting a bunch of boxes in this size. Again, every baby is different and I am just telling you what my experience was. Now size 3 you can go ahead and stock up on.
  • Short sleeve graphic onesies - Ok this won't be the case for a lot of people but I did not like these in the beginning. Since my baby was born in the winter all those cute onesies with different sayings and graphics were useless. If I wanted him to to wear them I would have to put a long sleeve onesie underneath which was a pain. Plain ones are fine for under the clothes or pj's. Of course if I had a summer baby he would have lived in those cute onesies.

Can't live without:


  • Wearable blanket - Ethan wore one last winter and also has worn one every night this winter.
  • Snuza go - We used this when he was a few months old until he was a year old. I read about it online and immediately got one. This product is the reason why I actually got some sleep. 
  • Sound and projector machine - Ethan still sleeps with this. His favorite is the rain sound. 
  • Nipple shield - I didn't even know they existed until a lactation consultant brought them to me at the hospital. This is an important one, for me Ethan had a lot of trouble latching on. Who knows I might have stopped trying to breastfeed if I couldn't get him to latch on ever. This was a lifesaver. I cannot tell you the number of people that tell me they didn't breastfeed because their baby didn't latch on or because it hurt. This can be the answer to helping some people out especially in the beginning while mommy and baby adjust and get some practice.
  • Nursing pads - These are a must have for breast feeding moms. I sure went through a lot of these.
  • Boppy - I loved my boppy and still do. Although we no longer need for breast feeding we still use it as a pillow when lounging around.
I will be adding to both lists so please check back soon.




No comments:

Post a Comment